Our Company History
- 1927-Ezra Neer starts his own company with a 1926 International and a shovel
- 1928-Ezra Neer hired his first employee and designed and built his first screening and crushing plant.
- 1930-32-Ezra built a washing and screening plant…the first to consist of a 5 deck finishing screen capable of separating 6 different products. Some of the screens are still in use today. In the winter of ’32 he completed his first bucket loader.
- 1936-Ezra married Mary Rodabaugh. They continued on until Ezra sold the business in 1945 to retire…that only lasted one year and in 1946 he got back in the business and also built a new washing plant.
- 1954-John D. Longbrake joined the company and worked there for over 25 years. Also, that same year, Ezra’s son Arden Sr. began working weekends, evenings, and summer.
- 1957-Ezra once again used his talent to build a new crushing plant.
- 1960-Son Arden Neer Sr. joins his father’s company full-time.
- 1962-Built in the 1960’s, this stockpiler is still being used today to move stone from the washing plant.
- 1969-Ezra decides it’s time to retire.
- 1973-76-The recession hits and it’s hard times. Neer’s Sand & Gravel are fortunate they were one of the 25% of small aggregate businesses that didn’t shut down.
- 1985-Arden Neer Jr., grandson of Ezra and son of Arden Sr., joins the company.
- 1988-Andy Neer, grandson of Ezra and son of Arden Sr., joins the company.
The Neer Family
In 1927, Ezra started his company with a 1926 International and a shovel. He was an innovator, designing and building his first screening and crushing plant.
Arden Sr., son of Ezra began working his weekends and summers in 1954. He joined the company full time in 1960 and continued to run the business after Ezra retired in 1969.
Arden Neer Jr., grandson of Ezra and son of Arden Sr., joined the company in 1985 and is currently the operating partner alongside brother Andy.
Andy, grandson of Ezra and son of Arden Sr., joined the company in 1988 and is currently the operating partner alongside brother Arden Jr.